Thursday, May 15, 2014

and here's a little bit the TEAS

Nursing entrance exams...

They strike fear in the heart of even the most confident student. 

At our school, they require the TEAS for admission, and in order to be competitive, your score must be higher than the National Average.

This year's National Average was a 64. My score was an 85. I was nervous that it wouldn't be high enough. AND, my school only takes your first attempt...so I had to make it count.


So you have to take the TEAS? Are you scared? Well, you should be healthily nervous. This test is no joke!

The TEAS is a four hour, computerized test with four sections that include Reading, Math, Science, and English/Grammar. Please do not take this test for granted! You will need to study for it. 

I purchased the ATI study manual, which was extremely helpful, but pricey at $80. It broke down each area with explanations and practice questions, and it included two full practice tests. I spent about 2 weeks, a few hours a day studying for this and broke it down into one section per day. It might help to take one of the practice tests first, to determine where you need to focus the majority of your time. For me, it was math. Once I got to the actual test, I was very prepared and only missed 2 questions out of about 50 or 60 questions. 

I would highly suggest checking out Khan Academy for their videos breaking down fractions, percentages, conversions, algebraic equations, and such. They also have a lot of information on science related questions. 

Reading consisted of passages to read and then questions on comprehension and inferences. 

Math consisted of all of the above: fractions, percentages, conversions, algebra, and basic arithmetic.

Science consisted of a little bit of everything. You need to know earth and physical science, chemistry, biology, anatomy and physiology, and microbiology. This was a struggle for me and if I had it to do over again, I would have focused more time on the sciences. 

English/Grammar consisted of spelling, capitalization, syntax, parts of speech, and so on. Don't take this section for granted. It is more difficult than you think.

We were given scratch paper, a calculator, and a pencil, and were told get to work. It took me a little over three hours to complete the TEAS and our scores were posted about 2 hours after the test through the ATI website. 

This test is a predictor of how well admissions think you will do in nursing school so it is important to get a good grade. What is considered a "good" grade is up to the school to decide. Look for it on their website or talk to someone in admissions so you will have an idea of what to shoot for. Spend time studying, practicing, and timing yourself. You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment